God promises comfort for us so that we can comfort others, and at this time, collective prayers for the families affected by the tragedy in the Philippines is of most importance. Please also pray for our military troops who have been deployed, the first responders currently on the ground and emergency response organizations who are mobilizing recovery and first aid efforts.
“Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, 4 who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God.” 2 Cor 1:3-4
Typhoon Haiyan Stats:
- Nearly 620,000 people were displaced and 9.5 million “affected” across nine regions.
- Typhoon Haiyan is believed to be the strongest tropical storm ever recorded, It is compared to a Category 5 hurricane.
- The storm sustained winds reached 195 miles per hour (313 km per hour) with gusts of up to 235 mph.
- The projected casualties reported has grown to 10,000, but communication outages are creating difficulties in ascertaining the extent of damage.
- Haiyan surpassed Typhoon Bopha’s strength; thakt storm pummeled northern Mindanao last year, destroying 216,000 homes.
How you can Help?
2) Prayerfully consider donating to an organization who is mobilizing emergency aid
ECFA certified Response Organizations:
World Vision is raising funds and launching an emergency response to help survivors of Typhoon Haiyan—possibly the strongest storm in recorded history—after it slammed the Philippines. An estimated 4 million people are affected. World Vision is rushing to meet the most urgent needs of food, clean water, and emergency shelter for 400,000 people.
Compassion has created the Disaster Relief and Stability Fund to support the relief efforts in the Philippines. This fund will provide relief, recovery, and rehabilitation that is vital to restore families affected by this massive storm.
Samaritan’s Purse supports local ministry partners in the region as they provide physical help to suffering people in Jesus’ Name. We are currently bringing desperately needed relief and comfort to families affected by Super Typhoon Haiyan through Samaritan’s Purse Philippines Emergency Relief.
CONVOY OF HOPE
Convoy of Hope‘s Global Disaster Response Team has shipping containers full of food and supplies on the way to the Philippines. The organization is preparing more supplies to be sent like canned goods, hygiene kits and water filtration units. You can visit Convoy of Hope’s website to donate funds to their efforts or call 1-417-823-8998.