As an American, you have much to be thankful for. As a Christian, you have much more to give thanks for. This holiday season you can express your thanks in many different ways. Here is a list of Ways to Be Gracious and Giving This Thanksgiving.
1. Express thanks in your decorations and traditions. – For the big meal, ask everyone at the table to voice at least three things they are thankful for.
2. Donate items money or time to a favorite charity or ministry outreach: Gather up old items in good condition and deliver them to a charitable organization. You could also give a monetary donation – every gift matters.
3. Visit a hospital: Spend some of your time this holiday season with those who aren’t able to be at home.
4. Send a care package to soldiers overseas: Contact your local VA for information on shipping, soldiers that need adopting, approved items and needed items. Mailing deadlines come early so start early.
5. Provide Thanksgiving dinner for a family in need: Offer a complete Thanksgiving dinner through your church or an outreach organization in your community. Ask your children to help you with the shopping list.
6. Volunteer at a senior center or a veteran’s home: Volunteer to chat, listen, or play a simple game with those of a different generation. They will surely appreciate spending time with youngsters, and you just might learn a thing or two.
7. Sponsor a child in an impoverished country: You can keep track of how your contribution is helping the child, and it can be an opportunity for your own children to learn about other places in the world.
8. Invite extra guests to join your family for dinner: If you know someone who will be alone for the holidays, invite them to your family’s holiday dinner this year. The more, the merrier!
9. Volunteer at an animal shelter: Hundreds of homeless animals need your time, love, and hugs. And if you have the resources and time, adopt one of your own!
10. Make a gift of time of money to Christian Radio: Radio travels to places you may not be able to go and brings comfort to the lonely and depressed. One out of every three listeners doesn’t know about the hope found in Jesus and tuned in looking for answers. Over 400 people have come to Christ in the last 12 months through this station.